Monday, December 21, 2009

I have sleep apnea. I am on a CPAP machine/full face mask. Any suggestions to be able to keep it on at night?

I currently have a full face mask on my machine. I first started keeping it on all night; but lately I can't . I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions to help with this slight ';problem';.I have sleep apnea. I am on a CPAP machine/full face mask. Any suggestions to be able to keep it on at night?
Your question lacks detail but here are some ideas.


If you have lost/gained weight you may need a retitration study to adjust your setting.


If the mask is over a year old you may need a new mask. If you have changed your hair or gained/lost weight in your face you may need a new mask.


All the Yahoo answers in the world won't help-you just need to go to your doctor and let him work with the sleep lab to find a solution.I have sleep apnea. I am on a CPAP machine/full face mask. Any suggestions to be able to keep it on at night?
You didn't say WHY you can't keep it on all night now. If you it is uncomfortable why not switch to nasal pillows and see if you like this. If the mask doesn't fit right or slides then maybe it is time for a new mask. Post more info for more help.
I don't know how old you equipment is but when I first got my full face mask, I had to problem keeping it on my face but then I experienced the same problem as you, it wouldn't stay on my face. I hope your problem will be as simple as mine was to fix, I had cut my hair and the straps had to be readjusted. Put the mask on your face, start with the top and tightened it slightly until you tightened the bottom. Reposition the mask over your nose so that it is comfortable and then tightened the straps until you have a comfortable fit. I hope this will help you as it helped my problem.
Some people find BiPAP more comfortable than CPAP. You could ask your doctor about that.





I know someone who could not tolerate a CPAP mask, so she was put on oxygen instead. The nasal cannula was much more comfortable than the mask. It did not stop the apneic spells, but it did prevent her oxygen levels from dropping because of them, which is a good thing.





I hope you can find a solution that works for you.
It takes time to get used to . Call the people who sold the unit ortake it back they will fit for you they may lower the pressure. Are you using the ramp button? I prefir the face mask. The nose mask kept me awake blowing air into the nose. Hope this helps
You should be able to go back to the person that fitted you.





The person that did my sleep study did my initial CPAP setup. Later she helped me when I needed some adjustments.

No comments:

Post a Comment