Friday, December 25, 2009

I have a sleep apnea machine that drips water from the mask into my nose/face at night?

i've had the machine for 3 to 4 months and at first it was fine. now at night water builds up or gets into the mask an drips into my nose when i roll over or runs across the top of my lip. it's very disgusting and when it happens i rip the thing off in a half sleeping panic and it totally disturbs my sleep.





the machine is the kind that heats the hose with a copper wire and as usual, i put distilled water in the tank.





is it possible it's just too dry in my house now that it's winter (i'm in ontario, canada so it's pretty darn cold out) and water is condensing inside the mask from my breathing? would putting a humidifier in the room help if that is the case?





has anyone had this happen? i need to make this stop since i'm not wearing the mask now most nights and i really need to (husband can't sleep and i sleep 10 to 12 hours when i don't use it).





thanks for any suggestions.I have a sleep apnea machine that drips water from the mask into my nose/face at night?
There should be a humidfier setting on the machine going from 1-5 and it is probably set too high so lower the setting to 1,2, or 3. Also the machine needs to be lower than the bed. Set it on a step stool about 1 foot off the floor so any moisture in hose drains back to the machine. Also go to http://www.cpaptalk.com and you will learn anything and everything you ever need to know about cpap machines. The moisture issue you have going on is called ';rainout';. It is very important to have the machine lower than the bed so the moisture can drain back into the


machine instead of your mouth. My husband has sleep apnea and know just about all there is about it. He is always on this site.I have a sleep apnea machine that drips water from the mask into my nose/face at night?
it is condensation that is causing the problem, either turn the heating unit off or don't put water in the reservoir. The cpap doesn't have to have water in it to function just fine, it simply keeps your tissues from drying out, but if you are getting condensation like that, either the water is too warm, or you don't need water at all. If you don't know how to manipulate your cpap, suggest you learn.
I am having the same problems with my new machine this winter. It is disgusting and I too have to use it. It never happened with my old unit. I need the humidification but this face wash and drip is awful!! I too am in ontario. Yes it helps to turn the dial back but still it happens.
You need to either have your C-Pap checked out quickly or get a replacement this is dangerous. You could possibly in your sleep breath in the water. Your machine shouldn't be doing this.
get a new tank
It is condensation and that occurs more in cold weather. Winter brings on more ';water'; in the face. It's an unfortunate reality as you have already tried most of the remedies. You didn't complain about water building up in the hose but you may want to try a sleeve over the hose that insulates it from the cold, this sometimes helps eliminate or reduce the condensation. http://www.cpap.com/productpage/snuggle-鈥?/a> or http://www.cpap.com/productpage/respiron鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment